Friday, March 19, 2010

When you can't trace His hand...

"When you can't trace His hand, trust His heart".

I can't trace His hand more than I can usually. I guess that is the point of faith. Dillon's ortho called me on Thursday. He said after looking at the X-ray with Dillon's legs pointed in the position he needed them in, he can see the surgery we were planning won't work. He has to do the boney surgery I told you all about in a previous post. It is where they will cut his leg bone apart, re angle the bone, use screws and plates to put it back together, as well as cut the tendon. He has to do this because Dillon's bone has been misangled by his muscle tone. The doctor told me that he is only treating symptoms, that the cause is his brain and there is nothing we can do about that. At least he is honest with me!

The doctor wants to do both legs at once because the right legs is not normal either and it will need to be done eventually. The only good news to this is that he won't need the cast afterwards because the plates act as the cast to keep everything in place.

However, the bad news is the doctor said he will need this done again. If Dillon were 10 years old his legs would be mostly done growing, but since he is only 3 his legs will keep growing and will grow the way the brain wants them to not the way the doctor wants them to. This is a very common issues in children with CP like Dillon, however he is young to be needing this drastic of surgery. I think the Doctor said they normally don't need this until 7 to 8 years old.

I couldn't get Dillon off his fish oil in time for surgery next week. He has to be off of it for 2 weeks and they only told me the day before he had to be off. If I just remove it he will have a lot of seizures, I have to have the neuro team make adjustments to the diet. Therefore we will be putting it off. The doctor said this is perfectly fine - that he would plan to do it in August or September with no consequence to Dillon. However, we cannot wait years to do it or his hip will get arthritis.

The doctor is also going to coordinate with urology to fix Dillon's double hernia and undecended testicles all at the same time, so that is good. The hips will take 1.5 hours each, the hernia about 45 minutes so all together he will be undergoing about 5 hours of surgery probably in August or September. And of course they will be sending him to the PICU to recover.
"When you can't trace His hand, trust His heart"

2 comments:

hannahjoy said...

praying for you guys!

Donna said...

It is such a comfort to know that God loves us and has our best interest at heart. I John 4:16 "And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him." Give the boys a hug for me.
Pray for M. (a mom with a son with a serious illness). I gave her your devotional "Remove this Cup" and we plan to meet soon and talk about the things of God. Love you all. Mom K.