Well, God started a seed of a thought and it is starting to really take off. I want to share it with you, ask for any advice if you have done something similar and anything else you can suggest about it.
My idea? We are in an area full of teens! They get out of school and hang around the streets all afternoon/evening. What does every teen want as soon as they get home from school? FOOD! Hot, fresh baked cookies, muffins, breads, brownies, and candy. And maybe some hot chocolate since it is so cold out. My mom and my in-laws have given me lots of ideas and I have talked it over with a teen girl who has been coming every afternoon to help with Dillon's program. The teen girl thinks it would be a great hit!
Here are the specifics that I am thinking right now...
- Only be "open" from 3-4, if it is a big hit maybe from 3-5
- Each day of the week would be a specific thing (Chocolate chip cookies, brownies, banana bread, blueberry muffins, and ?? Not sure on the 5th one yet - any suggestions? If I can find soft pretzels to warm up maybe that, if not I don't know yet.)
- Everyday I could have hot chocolate and/or mochas (adding instant coffee to hot chocolate - I do this often in the mornings and it is good!)
- Everyday I could have chocolate dipped pretzel rods
- Everyday I could have other molded chocolates (example: bite size chocolate with fresh ground coffee on top - I have made these before and they are good! and chocolate in the shapes of the seasonal holidays)
- My mom suggested maybe carmel apples
I have to price each thing but friends of my mom are doing the candy part of this and they say it is easy and they are making a decent amount. They sell two pretzel rods for .50. I could decorate some with a different color chocolate drizzled over them or sprinkles or mini chocolate chips or, or, or the possibilities are endless!
Okay - so please let me know if you think this is something that is a good idea considering the area we live in. Many of the teens don't go home after school b/c no parent is home - so no mom home to make them hot baked goodies. Some of the kids at the high school have to eat lunch at 10am in order to get everybody in so they are hungry when they get out at 3pm!
Please leave any suggestions for me. Any advice, warnings, precautions, etc. I need some input!!
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org