Sunday, March 18, 2012

ER visit

Well we had a trip to the ER today - but it wasn't for Dillon! That's a first!

This time it was for Jay. After church he was running around with his friends and fell into the corner of a pew. I didn't see it happen but I heard him crying and running at me. I saw a little blood below his hands and didn't think it was too bad but by the time I moved a few feet with him in my arms blood was dripping everywhere. I quick grabbed one of Dillon's washcloths and put pressure on it. A moment or two later Josiah and I looked at it and knew he had to go to the ER for stitches. It was about an inch long and open pretty wide. He calmed down pretty quick when I explained to him that crying would make his blood pump more and make it bleed more. We put a gauze on it and started to go to the ER.

And for those of you who know me... yes I almost passed out. I had to sit with my head almost on the ground while Josiah took Jay to the van and brought me back my juice. I had to sit 4 times on the way to the van to keep from passing out too. Why does my body react to trauma like that??? Is there anyway to get over it and not pass out??

Anyways, Jay was great, he was calm and talking to us the whole way there. Thankfully they were able to glue it shut rather than stitch it. The nurse warned him that it would sting but he said it didn't. He was so brave! I am so proud of how well he handled it! He didn't carry on crying and screaming, he stopped within a few minutes of it and was perfectly calm the whole time!



In a week we can start putting vitamin E oil on it to help reduce the scar and were told to put sun screen on it good for the next two years!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Glad Jay was calm. Hope this will be his only childhood battle scar. What a cute pic--tape and all. Love, Mom (Grandma)